Little fun piece of trivia: I have never had a full-blown migraine before. I've had starts. Seedlings. But never have I ever been laid out, completely incapacitated, by a migraine.

Until this weekend.

I had grand plans, you see–I was going to get caught up on laundry and my lesson plans and meal prepping and blog shooting and all the things. And then I literally thought I was having a stroke. And then I accidentally deleted my pictures for Monday's post. And it was just kind of a hellfire storm suitable only for 2020.

Nevertheless, I persisted and today am stepping waaaaay back in the way back machine and bringing you this Zesty Blue Cheese Dressing. It lis the best. Literally the World's Best Zesty Blue Cheese Dressing. Even if you don't like blue cheese, I bet you'll like this. Salads. Wings. All the things.

time traveling back to 2009 when I said things like "camera phone" instead of just "phone," because what else would I take a picture with?

As you have probably deduced, both Sara and I really like to make our own salad dressings. A lot of times when I've made a salad dressing for the consumption of people that do not include my husband and children, people look at me like I'm smoking crack.

"You make your own dressing?" they ask, looking at me like I've sprouted a third eye. You know, like this is rocket science or something. The craziest thing is that making dressings is definitely on the easy end of kitchen creations–they're generally made with things you have lying around the house (milk, mayonnaise, vinegar, oil, salt, pepper, garlic, onion, soy sauce, salt, sugar, etc. Although not all in the same dressing…that would be vile) and they can be whipped up in minutes. As in far less time than it will take you to scan your own groceries at the handy-dandy (not) self-serve line at Walmart, let alone drive to Walmart, park in Cambodia, navigate your way through the store, stop to take pictures of camouflage lingerie with your camera phone,


remember that you desperately need springtime Oreos, floral foam, and a multipack of blank CDs, drop $50 you never planned on spending, feel violated by the little old lady who checks your receipt on the way out to make sure those springtime Oreos that you're currently stress-eating have been properly paid for, and then discover that the car you bought a year ago has been dinged by one of the many rogue shopping carts surrounding it. But hey, don't tell your friends how easy homemade dressings are–let them think you're Martha Jr. when all you really were was really LAZY.

anyway…back to the blue cheese

Anyway, I know not everyone loves blue cheese dressing, but I sure do. Love love love. And this recipe is the best I've ever had. It comes out thick, which is perfect to dip veggies or hot wings in, or you can thin it out with a little milk or buttermilk (if you want to) to use on a salad. This dressing is amazing on my BBQ Chicken Cobb Salad, but it's also fantastic with wings, to use as a dip for veggies, or on tons of the salads in our salad section.

how to make it

You'll need mayonnaise (actual mayo, not Miracle Whip, but you can use light mayo), crumbled blue cheese, kosher salt, freshly ground black pepper, red wine vinegar, fresh garlic, and, if you want to thin it out a little, some milk or buttermilk.

blue cheese ingredients

In a small bowl, add the salt and pepper,

adding salt and pepper to mayo

red wine vinegar,

adding red wine vinegar to mayo

and garlic to the mayonnaise

blue cheese ingredients

and whisk to combine. Add blue cheese.

adding blue cheese to dressing

Add buttermilk if desired.

adding buttermilk

Cover, and chill for at least an hour. Refrigerate up to 1 week.

blue cheese dressing our best bites

(For your viewing pleasure, scroll part the recipe to see the original pictures of this post. 🤡 I was so proud of those pics, y'all.)

Print

clock clock icon cutlery cutlery icon flag flag icon folder folder icon instagram instagram icon pinterest pinterest icon facebook facebook icon print print icon squares squares icon heart heart icon heart solid heart solid icon

Description

This blue cheese dressing is the quickest and easiest dressing ever! Serve with veggies, on salad, or with wings.


1 cup mayonnaise (do not use Miracle Whip. Just don't. You may, however, use light mayonnaise.)
1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese
1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoon red wine vinegar
2 teaspoons minced garlic (12 cloves)
A couple tablespoons of milk or buttermilk (optional)


In a small bowl, whisk together mayo, salt, pepper, vinegar, and garlic. Add blue cheese and stir to combine. If desired, thin it out with a little buttermilk or milk. Refrigerate for an hour before serving.